When the Cayenne was unveiled more than a decade ago, the automobile world, especially Porsche fans were shocked to see an SUV roll out of Liepzig. After all, one doesn’t expect a sportscar maker to start manufacturing a mammoth five-door car all of a sudden. But what seemed like a gamble then actually turned out to be a runaway success. As of today, Porsche has sold more than six lakh units of the Cayenne! A remarkable feat indeed – this makes it one of the most successful luxury SUVs of all time. India too has contributed to this number – one does see quite a few of them on our roads today. Well, it is indeed one of the few Porsches that can handle our broken roads and speed breakers.
A new Cayenne is on the road. Should it be on you new car for 2015 short list? We say yes. It is a great car to drive you’ll often want to leave the driver home even if you are a mom only logging your kids to school or shopping. What a dream automobile
What we love
- The sharp silhouette
- The powerful face
- Sporty in character.
- Phenomenal steering
- Sexy dashboard
- Wheel, is great to grip.
- The paddle-shifters are placed well and are a delight to use too.
- Attention to detail is very impressive while high quality metal accents are fitted superbly.
- On the road, power delivery is linear and strong, making it ideal for town, off-road as well as highway use.
- One of the best handling SUVs today.
- Get behind the wheel and the eagerness and grip is almost sportscar like.
- The diesel engine comes with active suspension and this is one of the key reasons for sharper handling.
- In Comfort mode, the ride is plush and body-roll, though present, is quite acceptable.
- The SUV can drive through deep potholes and broken roads and you can still probably sit in the backseat (that’s a lot more comfortable now) and sip coke without spillage.
- In the Sport mode, one can still drive the Cayenne on almost any bad stretch in Africa.
- The Cayenne is now feature loaded with most optional equipment now being offered as standard.
- It even looks fresh and is in sync with the other new Porsches.
- The ability to offer sportscar like handling and enough clearance to go through most off-road terrain in luxury makes the Cayenne a very unique offering. The most practical Porsche for Africa today.